Thursday, July 30, 2009

What a great day!

Well hey there!
Today has been so wonderful in so many ways. The first reason is that it's my little sister Emily's 13th birthday! Woohoo! I'm so excited, in some ways, to have yet another teenager in the house. Haha. I love you Emily!

Okay okay, on to our day.
We woke up to rain lightly hitting our rooftops and huge blasts of wind. It was great, though it seemed to make everyone a little more sleepy than normal. The rain and wind continued throughout the rest of our last workday and kept us all nice and cool, which was wonderful.
The workload, for some, was much less. Aleah, Ann and I got to clean up some of the empty apartments to help prepare for some families who are moving in, but poor Ann ended up going in early because of her back. Hannah, Cari and Kelly finished up with the trenches and pipes then headed to the soccer field to finish up with putting the lines down for the big game. And the guys mostly finished up filling the walls with cement. So it was all around a nice and easy last workday.

After work, we headed to lunch. We ended up eating an hour late because we had to help clean up a lot today, and Matt, Daniel and Josh Bastian went off to fix some of the holes in the road and nobody told them it was lunch time. So we waited, and waited, until finally somebody went and got them. Oops. Anyways, after lunch, a few of the guys used all of the strength to put the water filter in the back of Monte's van. That thing had to be so heavy. A few more of us then piled in to the van and we were off to our last trip to the brickyard. The whole ride there, Matt was trying his hardest to keep that filter from moving, and he did a great job. When we got there, not many of the were out, but that was okay, I was more excited about seeing the way the women reacted to the filter. After explaining everything to Allison about how the whole water filter operated, she started translating to one of the mothers who was in the church building, which is where we put the filter. She was so full of curiosity and she looked so excited. It was one of the coolest things and it made me so happy. After playing with the kids that were at the church, we said our last goodbyes and gave our final hugs.

As soon as we got back from the brickyard, it was straight to the soccer field for the event of the century. Well not really, but we'll go with it. This time, instead of just falling in to teams, we lined up and Aleah and a girl named Hannah(not from our team) picked teams. I just knew I was going to be last, but thankfully Harris made it to where Bastian was the last one picked and I was only second to last. How great is that? The game was intense. I don't think I have run that much in a long time, or even played that much soccer in a long time. The people Monte called over to play with us were crazy. The score ended up being 5 to 4, my team won. Haha. I didn't make any goals, but I think that if we had played just a little bit longer, I definitely would've made a goal.

Then it was dinner time. We had some very nice guests. They were the Amayas and they were old friends. After dinner, they joined us for our meeting time. Mr. Amaya gave us a little testimony. He is such a neat and happy guy who loves the Lord. Tonight we talked about planting seeds, which brings me to one of the many things God has shown me on this trip. We didn't just come on this trip to help the missionaries build things and help Allison with VBS, we came on this trip to harvest and water God's word in the kids at the brickyard. It amazes me so much that God chose to use us in such a great way.

Tomorrow we head off to the mountains for debriefing and I am so excited! Though I don't want this trip to end, I have been waiting to go to the mountains this whole trip.

Prayer requests.
- continued prayer for Ann's back as well as Monte's.
- safe travels for us as we head to the mountains in the morning.
- safety all around.
- the kids at the brickyard that they continue to learn about the Lord.
- for Allison, that she has wisdom as she continues to teach the families at the brickyard about the Lord.

Well, I should be off to bed. We have a four hour drive, but if Monte is driving, it might be a lot shorter. Haha.
Goodnight everyone!
Kaley

p.s. - I love you mommy, daddy, Alyssa, Emily, Megan, and everyone else! (:










7 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting about the water filters! I can't wait to hear more about how all that went down.

So true about Monte's driving...haha! (You're the greatest, Monte!)

I will definitely continue to pray for you guys, the missionaries, and those at the Brickyard. May your time in the mountains be refreshing and uplifting.
Love you guys!

Mrs said...

Thanks for the post, Bright Eyes! I'm eager to hear how the water filters work as well. Thanks for all your hard work out there!

Unknown said...

I didn't even realize that was Jasmine in the picture with the water filter! So old! So beautiful! :)

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the update. I love reading what God is doing in Mexico.
I must say, seeing the picture of the water filter made me teary-eyed. To think what God can do through us, ALL of us, if we open-handedly do what He asks. GO TEAM! Enjoy the mountains and see you soon.

Kim H. and James said...

Ah, you guys have been gone SO long and we miss you! What you've been doing is so important so it makes it all worth it. Enjoy the mountains and Monty's driving! It was nice to see a picture of Josh on the ground this time. :) We can't wait to see all of you- especially Josh H. :)
Love, Kim and James

Raquel said...

I'm so glad you guys had rain and wind, because I know how much that can help during the hot summer days here in FL! Have fun in the mountains!

Mama Yates said...

Oh Kaley!! You are such an amazing story teller. I feel like I am there...I miss you so very much!! I am so glad you are feeling better. Sounds like you fit right in there. Don't get any ideas.. haha. Emily beamed from ear to ear when she saw the shout out for her birthday. We all miss you so much! Thank you for doing what you all are doing. Sounds like things are going well over there. I can't wait to hear how well it works. Love you so very much, everyone!

Love,
Mama Yates