Friday, July 24, 2009

Brickyard Dog-Piles

Hola from Chihuahua! This is your best friend Caleb!


Wow, what a week! Hard work is our team slogan now. This expiriance has been amazing so far to me, God hasrichly blessed me with our accomplishments...


So today started off as the usual morning schedual, but our devotions threw us a curve ball, in my eyes. Josh had us read a passage about forgivness, and challenged us to go out, and forgive someone who has wronged you. This challenge was a interesting one because we had to basically wait for someone to wrong us, so that we could dish outforgivness. This is especially hard when you are working and living with such an influential and edifying team. Allin all, it all worked out, and Josh told us that no matter what, when you are eternally forgiven, you must live inforgivness.


As the day progressed, everything was going as normal, but there was a little scare twords the end of the day.Chico was working hard, as usual, when from up above, a falling 8 pound C-Clamp came down and hit him in the back of the head from 10 feet up. This did not feel good, and there were a couple of quotes from Chico stateing, "I just feel a little dizzy." Of corse, this was not a very happy time for the team, or Chico. A standard check-up from Mrs. Rigel came back negitive for major injuries. Nevertheless, Chico is up, and around. He is still in pain though, so keep him in your prayers...


After a delicious lunch from the Magicion in the Kitchen herself (Mrs. Rigel), we got ready for the Brickyard.My first day at the Brickyard was a very uneasy day, that is, until I made a couple friends, so coming back today was very exciting. These kids kept coming to me and asking me to throw them up in the air, or spin them around. This is a very tireing prossess, but I end up forcing myself to keep playing like a 5 year old anyway. It is SO AMAZING that even though I only speak a little bit of spanish, they can understand me, and vise-versa. Apperantly, the kids have made it a tradition to find me, surround me, and tickle me until I fall over, and dog-pile me into the dirt. All I can do is laugh and roll around and try to ward off the kids, but I have not been succesful in my tryings ;). Everytime we leave, I'll admit, I get a little choked up when I have to leave. I know I will see them again soon, but theres nothing that will remove the sad feeling I get when I leave those kids.


After the Brickyard, we decided that we'd go into town for dinner. This was a crazyyy time, because Monte took us to a place in a mall area that makes Gorditas. Gorditas are like round tortillas that are cut open, and stuff put inside. This was a first for me, especially because I had a cactus Gordita. I really honestly couldn't tell if I liked it, but it was a great adventure to explore new flavors of the world.


God has been teaching me so much on this trip. But the one huge noteable thing this is the power of prayer. We had a devotion a couple days ago tited "Stop and Pray." This was very encouraging to me because everytime Ihave prayed, I feel like God is listening, and acting. I mean, look where we are now, no flight problems, a few minor injuries (But we immidiatly prayed for, and got better really quick). The next thing God has been teaching me, is my reliance on Him. There have been some times on this trip where I just turned all of my problems over to Him, and He has taken care of them in the best way possible.


Prayer Requests:
Chico - That his head would stop hurting, and that he would be restored to full heath as quickly as possible.
Ann - Due to a prexisting car accident, her back has not been cooperating with her, pray that healing will come to her.
Safty - That God would continue to keep us safe while working, and when we go into town tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for your prayers! I hope this has been a good blog to read...
Stay classy Orlando...
-Caleb


P.S. I love you Mom and Dad
















11 comments:

Megan Marie said...

hi caleb:) *hug*
thanks for the post!! loved reading it!! i really did:)
I am so glad you are enjoying the trip..and learning so much!
yes..the power of prayer was so big for me too the last two trips!! just stop and pray..it was amazing to pray..and the next minute it would be answered! :)
i'll be praying for chico..keep us updated!!
ohh and for ann!! tell her im praying for her and i love her..unless she is reading this right now..hehe..then i love you, ann!! button megan misses you sooo much:]
oh oh...we went to that place in the mall last year! i loved em..werent they soo good! ohh..and did bastian get any salsa contests going..we did that last year there at the mall..who can down the lil cup of salsa with out freakin out?! it was pretty fun!
ohh..i'm in love with all those kids and families at the brickyard! it was so hard to leave. i'l be praying for you and the team!
I miss you bud. *giving you one of our sunday hugs* Can't wait to see you again and hear all you learnt:)
love you all/megan marie :)
p.s..hey chachi..i know you hate pictures..but that's a grreat one...so adorable!! :) (miss you, bud..remember..i'm praying for you:)

Mrs said...

Thanks so much for the great update, Caleb! We love to read of the work you guys are doing, but we also love to read how God is working on your hearts.

Do you think God is trying to get Chico's attention with a rap on the head? ;-) Love you, Chico!

- Mamcita

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your day with us!
Prayers for Chico and the whole team as you persevere through week two! (Good thing Chico always takes whacks on the head!)

P.S. No way! Is that a two-year-old Angelita in the last picture?

Anonymous said...

hang in Chico,praying for all of you, Someone give Cari a big hug for me I realy miss her.

have fun and stay safe
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Jessie! That is Angelita!! Isn't she beautiful?? She smiles and hangs on us, and its incredible! She's the most precious little girl(:

-Aleah

Anonymous said...

haha I stayed as far away from that salsa as I could this year... Too many bad memories from last year ;)

-Josh Bastian

Kate said...

Thanks for the post, Caleb! It's nice to get different perspectives from different team members and get bits and pieces of the people you miss =)

Chico, what the heck do you think you're doing?? Did I forget to tell you not to get hit on the head by flying objects?! I hope you feel better soon, bud!

Josh Bastian, I'm glad you stayed away from that salsa! No need to ruin another day in town for yourself and others today =p ; )

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well at the brick yard! Christ's love is a universal language; keep showing it and sharing it and you all won't have much of a communication barrier. =)

I love you all, you're in my prayers!
-Kate

p.s. Tell Monte I say hey!

Mama Yates said...

Very nice blog Caleb! I so love to hear all the different perspectives..We will be praying for Ann and Chico!I am so sorry that happened.
Love you guys so very much!!

Mama Yates

ThriveYouth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ThriveYouth said...

Angelita is precious. I got to just sit in the dirt and play with here outside for a half hour while they were doing the meeting in the building. I needed it because I was missing James so much! God allowed me to have that wonderful time playing her. We played with rocks and sticks and she just giggled and mumbled spanish the whole time. :) Wish you could be here Jessie.
-Josh H.

Unknown said...

Thanks Josh. :)
My heart is surely with you all. The other night I dreamt I was headed to Mexico with you guys. :)
Rejoicing that God is good and thanking Him for my wonderful friends,
Jessie