Monday, July 20, 2009

Chihuahua!

With a kerplunk we touched down at the Aeropuerto de Chihuahua. A hour later we were safe and sound at Rancho Siloe. For me, a returning student, the dorms, the kitchen, the work projects finished during past trips, even the showers brought back vibrant memories. We are finally here, albeit a little tired, incredibly excited about lies ahead. Work starts at 7am tomorrow morning.


Let me back up a bit...two days ago I flew out to Grand Rapids, Michigan to learn how to build a water purifier patented by Aqua Clara. Located in Holland, Michigan, Aqua Clara is a small operation that has planted purifiers all over the world. This small group of people at Aqua Clara love Jesus and it is evident in the way they care for and love the one billion plus people who lack access to clean water. During the training session staff members discussed the global water problem and how best to fix it. After the information session in the morning we built a purifier from scratch, giving us hands-on experience building the simple, yet effective bio-sand purifiers.

After a flight back to Orlando, I joined the team at the KOA campground for our orientation. We spent Sunday learning everything from the biblical reasons for missions to cross-cultural integration. Our team split up and practiced our puppet, song, and craft ministries that we'll do at the brickyard this week and next. The rest of the day we relaxed, ate some Papa John's and watched a storm brew over the lake adjacent to the KOA.

Some praises....

We made it through customs without a problem. None of the medicine for the Brickyard or water purifier supplies were confiscated


Monday morning the rain held just long enough for us to pack all of our stuff into the vans. Special thanks to Mr. Rigel and Mr. Walter for waking up early to help us get to the airport.


Some prayer requests....
That the water purification project can continue to move forward. More specifically, that all the supplies can be delivered soon.
VBS at the Brickyard.
Team unity.
Continued good health for all members.

Thanks for reading and praying, we as a team are really appreciative of all the amazing support.

Josh Bastian













13 comments:

Anonymous said...

PTL! I'm so glad you made it safely! We prayed for all of you guys tonight!
-Kim H.

Matt said...

If this were fb, I would "like" it! Glad to hear that y'all are there safely!!

Anonymous said...

We're glad you made it to the ranch safely! I was able to track your flights online, so I know where you were (or at least where your airplane was...I assumed you were on it). Enjoy!!!
-David R.

Megan Marie said...

yay!!!
you guys made it...
I've been thinking of you all..more then anything else..:)
thanks bastian..reading this post made me wish I went....it brought back so many memories..but I know Gods will is perfect..and there is a reason for who all went and who all stayed.
sigh..
im so excited about the water purifier...i cant wait to read how that goes.
hehe..work at seven..:) thats one thing I wont miss..waking up that early;] cant wait to hear what jobs monte has you all do the first day:)
I love you all and im praying for you!!
megan marie :]

Mrs said...

Praising God for His provision and your safe arrival. Continued prayers for the work ahead!

Unknown said...

Hooray! So glad to hear you made it safely! Bastian, I had no idea you were doing all that with Aqua Clara! How neat!

You all are always on my heart and mind!

Cheryl said...

GO TEAM! So thankful for your safe arrival. Loved the pictures. You all looked so vibrant and happy, ready to be the hands and feet of Jesus.
Loved the update.
Mrs. Bastian

Renee said...

Thanks for posting the update! Continuing in prayer for the mission.

Anonymous said...

A reminder that the the team's wet clothes and sleeping bags are all at the church to be picked up as soon as possible! Thanks so much!

Kate said...

Yay for Chihuahua! And yay for pictures =) I miss you guys already! I hope you have fun working today! I think you guys just had your break. I'm looking forward to hearing what Monte had you all work on today!

Josh H if you could post something reminding the parents that the team's stuff from the KOA is at the church in your office. Let them know Mrs. Julin's hours so she can let them in! Thanks!

Unknown said...

As I'm (supposed to be) doing science homework on the computer, I can't help but wander over here and wonder if you're at the brickyard this very afternoon? Perhaps this very minute?
Sends wondrous shivers down my spine! :D
Love.

P.S. Kelly, I went to text you today but realized you wouldn't be able to text back for a while. :) That's quite alright. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I miss all you guys and am praying you have a wonderful time on this trip!
stay safe
Amanda

Tali Rose said...

Josh,

I am so thrilled that my vision for your future (namely, working to provide peoples with pure water) is already coming true!

Everybody,

You are in my prayers and I am so excited for the ways I KNOW God will move in your lives, transforming you and drawing you ever closer to him.

Much love,
Tali Rose

P.S.
Due to my own travels, I'm just now "signing on" to the blog. But I'm so excited to read all your stories and relive my own memories! God bless.