Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Joy Given, A Life Taken

Today has been a rough day for our team, especially for Jessie and me. When Jessie got Churchill out of his basket to feed him this morning, he was completely limp. Coming to me in the kitchen, she set him in my hands as she prepared his breakfast. At first we thought it had just been too long since he had eaten (we didn't wake up in the night to feed him), but it quickly became obvious that something was very wrong: his whole body shook as he gasped for breath. With tears in our eyes, we watched him fight for his life. Although it was only 6:30 in the morning, we decided to take our dear bunny to Fito's (one of the Mexican students here) house, to see if he would know what to do. Knocking on his screen door, we waited impatiently for him to come to us. Finally he came outside, took the sweet bunny in his hands, and began to massage him. Hours seem to pass as he rubbed Churchill's body, and attempted to resucitate him by squirting air into his mouth through the eye dropper. But it was to no avail. Eventually we left Fito and wandered forlornly back to the kitchen, holding our dying rabbit in our hands.

A long morning passed. Of course there was work to be done, and Jessie and I attempted to rouse ourselves from our sorrow in order to be as helpful as possible. Every time I ran from my work to check on my precious Churchill, I found that he grew progressively worse. Finally, at 10:15 this morning, I watched as Winston Aslan Churchill drew his last breath. Tears dripped down my cheeks and soaked his fur as I drew his lifeless form to my heart. Bursting into tears, Jessie came to me, taking Churchill into her own hands. The boys got a shovel, and we trudged to a circle of stones we had found in the brush a few days prior. As our dear little friend was lain in the ground, Jessie and I held each other, encircled by our comforting friends, sobbing and sobbing.

It may be silly, but I had come to love that little bundle of fur over the past eight days. He was at every meal, every meeting. I woke up in the middle of the night to feed him, I postponed my meals (though I was often extremely hungry) to give him his, I checked on him every chance I got, I played with him every evening. Somehow that little creature was a part of our team. And now he's gone. It still hasn't really settled into my heart. I keep thinking it's time to feed him. I keep wanting to go get him out and play with him. I keep hoping that it's all been a dream, and he's really still there, hopping about his basket.

But I know he is not. My sweet, adorable, lively bunny has been taken from me. And yet, God is good. I know that He has His hand in this situation. I know that it happened for a reason, a purpose. No matter the pain that still pulls at my heart, my God is a loving God, and I thank Him for at least giving us this rabbit, who gave us so very much joy.

Thank you for enduring my rambling, if you actually made it through this post, that is. Please continue to keep all of us in your prayers--we desperately need them!!

Sorrowfully,
Tali Rose

7 comments:

Kaley Yates said...

Oh, Tali! I am so sorry this unfortunate event has happened! I wish I were there to help you and Jessie.. He is in a better place now, where he can breathe with no struggle. He is in rabbit heaven, and he is having the time of his life. So don't worry about him :]
I endured the post, I didn't want to stop reading it. I love it when you write. You are so creative :]

Well, I love you with all my heart. Chin up love. I am praying for you every minute.
My heart is with you on this day.
Love, Kaley.

p.s.- your tears were carried over to Florida as it poured and poured today. We got the biggest rainstorm since the hurricanes today. At least I think so..

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry tali to hear about your tragedy. I can't imagine what you feel but i know its hard to lose anything you love dearly. I'm praying for your loss and hope that it won't cause to much pain and grief the final few days you are there. Keep your eyes on God and he'll be there for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry tali to hear about your tragedy. I can't imagine what you feel but i know its hard to lose anything you love dearly. I'm praying for your loss and hope that it won't cause to much pain and grief the final few days you are there. Keep your eyes on God and he'll be there for you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tali and Jessie,
I was so sad to hear about Winston's passing. You all took such good care of him. I think of C.S. Lewis' quote: "It is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all." You girls (and all of you on the team) have big hearts that are willing to risk loving even when it hurts sometimes. Tali and Jess, I can't wait to give you both a great big hug on Saturday, but until then, I'm sending you one with this note. I love you, girls, and I pray God will comfort you (and all the others who are grieving for sweet Winston) as only He can.

Praying for you,
Mrs. M (Mom)

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Oh Tali and Jessie,
My heart is aching for you and I'm sure there are a few more of you who got attached to little WC. We here at the Zoo surely know what it's like to mourn a critter. Designed and created by the God who loves you, WC was a gift and you are right to thank and praise Him for the time you had.

Love you!
Mrs. R.

Anonymous said...

Jess and Tali,
I am so sorry about lil' Churchill. I know it's hard and it is not silly at all. That's how animals are, somehow they become so very special and when they gone it hurts...it's strange and hard to explain...but I know that you feel a sense of loss of this little bunny. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. I continue to pray for you everyday and I will most definitely take your sweet and aching hearts before the throne of the Great Comforter tonight. God Bless.

Sierra

Anonymous said...

Tali, I just want to express my condolences for Winston. It's very sad about his passing. Although I never got t o meet him, I bet he was a cute little guy. I'm sure he loved ya'll because you cared about him and took care of him. It's great to see God's hand in this, even when it is hard. I hope that you and Jessie, and all the others involved in Winston's life will be comforted despite your loss. Take care and much love from the sunshine state.