Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 12 - For the beauty of the earth...

Ah, we have made it back from the mountains! I am here to update you on what we did yesterday. I know it's a little late but we didn't have a connection up there so here I am back at the ranch with an update. We left early yesterday morning and started the trek up the Creel in the Sierrra Madres. We arrived around lunch time and ate our packed lunches while Monte and Josh got our hotel rooms. We were hoping we could take a train ride up to Copper Canyon but the train came and went before we even knew it! So, we took plan B and Monte drove us up the curvy roads like last year! We knew we had a chance to catch the train back down the mountain but it was still a bit of a long shot. We did a little bit of shopping and then went on a hike up to a peak of the canyon. Words can not describe how beautiful it was! Monte showed us some houses that were IN the canyon which explains why the Tarahumara people are so hard to reach! They can climb rocks and run like no other people in the world! There is so much to say in such little time so I'll have to tell you more later!
After the brief hike we headed back down to see if we could catch the train. We waited, and waited, and the boys started to get hungry. Monte encouraged us to buy some empanadas (I think that is what they were... hmmm, I can't remember!) from one of the ladies (who is a believer!). My only reservation was that she was cooking on a barrel that had been turned upside down! Hmm. Well, no one has been too seriously sick yet so why not? Just about everyone had one and we're all still alive and no one is sick! Ah, I should tell you that Monte will only take us to places that he knows is safe (even the questionable looking ones). While we were eating our snacks, the train came and we all got on and had a beautiful ride back down into Creel. Some of us even took naps! The evidence of God in his creation was so powerful to me! It broke my heart that the majority of those people living in the Canyon don't know that it is God who made it.
We had dinner and debrief at the hotel and headed off to bed to get ready for the next day. That's about all that happened on Friday. Most of the REALLY exciting stuff happened today. :) We are all looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow! Thank you to all of you who have written letters and posted comments for us to read. It's so encouraging and it helps us feel like you are here with us. We can't wait to get back and share how God has worked! Here are a few prayer requests and praises:
Praise- The van had A/C and no one got TOO car sick. :) Monte said he knew he had to drive nicely for us "flatlanders."
-We enjoyed so much to ride the train! It was the first time for the majority (I think 9).
- Josh B. arrived safely at home (as far as we know! I haven't had a chance to check the blog or emails)
-We had a safe drive to and from the mountains
Requests
_We have one more night! Pray that we will stay focused to the end
-For safe travels and health.
-For our time with the missionaries as we say goodbye.

We love you all and miss you but we'll see you soon! Ah... I am in a hurry to post this because dinner started 10 minutes ago and I wasn't there! I apologize for the mistakes! :)
-Kim

1 comment:

Kaley Yates said...

YAY!! I am so excited! You guys are coming home! But I am so glad you all had a wonderful time!! Oh, there are no words to express my happiness! :]
Much love from me and my family.
I can't wait to see you!
Love love!
Kaley :]