Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 2 in Mexico

Dearest friends and family,

Sorry we didn't post yesterday; we've been having trouble with the internet. [This post was actually written on Tuesday, but we again had trouble posting.]

Today was an absolutely wonderful day. After waking up very early, eating breakfast as a group, and doing devotions, we gathered outside to begin work--cement! Unlike yesterday, today all of us got to work together, building a ramp up to one of the sidewalks. The process contained a multitude of jobs, and all of us were kept continuously busy, shoveling gravel, filling water buckets, scooping cement powder, running back and forth with cement-filled wheelbarrows, and finally creating a beautiful ramp. When the job was done, and the cement was beginning to dry, Jessie carved Thrive Youth '08 into its edge. A job well done--what satisfaction we all felt!

During the course of the morning, Gary (one of the missionaries) found an itty-bitty baby jack rabbit, whose mother had died. All of us (especially the girls, I must admit) were extremely thrilled to have a new member added to our team, and took him to our hearts immediately. As she cuddled him in her hands, Jessie named him Winston Churchill. We found some powdered milk in the kitchen and have been feeding him every couple hours ever since. In fact, we have brought the little dear in his little box to our room, and are assigning shifts to feed him during the night. How dearly I already love the sweet bunny!

After work, we of course ate lunch and took our siesta. When all of those necessary evils (haha) had been taken care of, we again gathered together, this time to head to the Brick Yard. The Brick Yard is an extremely impoverished area where many families live and make bricks for their income. As we drove up through the dust and gravel, I was overcome by the abundance of blessings God has showered upon us in America. Compared to our big houses, green lawns, and sparkling pools, these people have nothing. Trash clung to the brush. There were piles of junk everywhere. Glass and scraps of metal littered the ground. And yet, the people are beautiful. The children embraced us and loved us in a way I have never before experienced. They know no favoritism, no judgement. They saw us only as their playmates, and so they played with us with a rigor that was exhausting and yet envigorating.

Visiting the Brick Yard was especially neat for the people who had gone last year. One of the little girls, Jasmine, actually remembered the team, especially jumping through rain puddles with Sarah and Jessie. We will tell more about the children on a later post.

Here are a few pictures from yesterday and today. Here's to hoping they actually show up!!

Please continue to keep us all in your prayers.
A few prayer requests are...

-Healing of Kate and Jessie's colds, Sarah's insect bites, Tali and Jessie's cement burns
-That Kate would feel especially loved, as she is feeling particularly homesick
-Energy! It's late tonight, and the workday begins early again tomorrow
-That Josh, Kenzy, and David would not get sick; in the midst of a water fight with kids at the brickyard, they got unclean water in their mouths.
-For Josh, Kim, and Mrs. H. (Kim's mom), as they continue to lead us
-For our new baby, Churchill, and those of us waking up to feed him.
-Also that we would have an effective ministry that is centered on glorifiying God

Thanks for all your prayers!

-Tali



9 comments:

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Thank you Tali for the wonderful post! I love your descriptions - you make it so easy to visualize. We're praising God for His provision and protection. You are all very much loved - and missed! I find myself drawn to the computer many times each day just to check for any news. Our house seems so quiet even though the quietest member is on the team - and we had a cat in our bed all night last night!!

Hugs to all of you and extra snuggles to Hannah. Purr-squeak from Poosey.

Mrs. R./Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey ya'll,
Thanks for the update Tali. It is great that we get to hear how things are going down ther in Mexico:). Ya'll take care and definitely keeping you guys in prayer. Praise God fro the ability to post pictures!!(They did work:). Continue to having a good time and sharing God's love!!!!!!!!
-matt i

Cheryl said...

So wonderful to receive these posts. Helps us all feel like we are right there with you. Praying for God's continued protection for the team as well as for healing of those you are sick and the immune strength of those who just happen to ingest unclean things. I bet the kids loved the water battle. Thank you for pouring out God's love to the people (an animals) in Mexico.
Love to all,
Mrs. B

Mrs said...

Wow, what a post! Thank you, Tali! The pictures were especially wonderful.

Thank you for the specific prayer requests. It helps so much to know what's happening and to lift you guys before the throne!

PS Tyler, I love you!

PPS I love all of you, but Tyler's my favorite. ;-) In Mexico. :-D

Julia said...

Tali, reading your post brought me back to the days of reading missionary stories in your living room (was that 10 years ago already??), and stirred my heart anew for the precious people of Mexico. I pray your time continues to be amazing!

-Julia

P.S. You should post a pic of Churchill too...what a great name, though I've heard Churchill looked more like a bulldog than a bunny! :)

Kaley Yates said...

Oh my, Tali! You are such the writer. I should have expected that, though. Haha. It was a wonderful update, and I am glad. I have had all of you on my mind, constantly. I am glad to hear all of you are doing well, with a few exceptions. Please give Kate the world's largest hug for me. I miss her so much. And tell her to not be homesick! She needs to enjoy her time there. I hope David, Josh, and Kenzy are going to be ok. Oh, and the name you picked out for the new little baby is perfect, I want to hold him :]

All of you are in my thoughts and prayers 24/7. I miss you all, and hope everything will go smoothly.

p.s.- I got out of school today!!! And there was a fight as I was trying to leave.. Silly kids these days.. I tell ya. But I will be starting my online history class soon, and I am some what nervous.. Please pray! And also pray for my head. It is so swollen and full of icky grodyness and I can hardly breathe! It is quite entertaining to hear me talk, though. Haha.

Ok. I love you all sooo much!
Be safe, ya hear!
Love,
Kaley :]

Anonymous said...

Hey, Thanks for the post, Tali! You are a fantastic writer! I'm glad you are all doing well. We are keeping you all in our prayers. Give my best regards to Winston! :)
-Tyler Adam Burgett
Matthew 5:16

Jenna Lyn said...

Oh, Tali! It's so ver wonderful to hear from you! I'm so glad that you posted this, because you are a marvelous writer, and it makes me very happy to read whatever you write =)

I'm so glad y'all when to the brickyard, and that Jasmine remembered them! Lots of people seemed to be nervous about wether she would remember them or not =)

And thanks so much for writing down the prayer requests! It helps us to understand a little more of what is going on, and -obviously- how we can better pray for you!

Well, I love you all very, very, VERY much! And give Kate hug from me too; and Megan, 'cause I'm really "homesick" for her!

I love you! And am sooo proud of all of you, and keeping you in my prayers ALL the time!!!

-Jenna Lyn (the one person that y'all shoudl definitely be missing the most right now)
Luke 9:48

Anonymous said...

Tali, it was so wonderful reading your post! I am praying for you guys and I miss you dearly (especially you, Tali!)
-kathleen