Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 13 - We'll be home for Christmas...last thoughts

You can count on that. Actually we'll be home before then. :) We leave tomorow morning at 7am to make our way by van back to El Paso to catch our flight. We should arrive tomorow into Tampa by 10pm and home in Orlando by 12:30am where we will meet parents and friends back at the church. So... onto the details of our last day here in Mexico....

I woke up early this morning and went outside our hotel in Creel, up in the mountains, to sit in the town square. The church bells were ringing as people gathered for morning mass but I stayed outside and had my own time with God and his word.

After breakfast we decided to visit a Tarahumara village, that is like a reservation of sorts, where people can visit. It was strange thinking that we payed a fee to visit where they actually live and work and then just walk around looking at thier houses and watching them do their daily routine. To some, these people may be just an amusing tourist attraction, but to us we felt the burden that these people needed the gospel of Christ not tourist dollars. Most of us shortly got distracted by the amazing rocks to climb and spent about an hour climbing and enjoying the view. We had planned to have our debrief meeting back in town but it was so peaceful and beautiful there that we had our meeting on the side of a hill amongst the rocks and caves. It was an amazing place to talk about what God had done on the trip and what he was doing in our lives. Then we spent some time in prayer and headed off to shop.

There are tons of little shops in Creel where you can buy souveniors. We split up into a couple groups to shop. After about 20 minutes of browsing we see David and Brett come down the street on a four-wheeler! I must explain that last year we heard about renting four-wheelers but it didn't work out. Well, this year David got his wish granted. He was loving every minute of it and was able to give several people rides (with helmets of course).

We wanted to say good-bye to Mexico with something meaningful and appropriate, something to really make a difference and show the people how much we appreciated them, so we gathered at a local restuarant and ate tons of Mexican food! Well, I ate tons of Mexican food. I ordered Chiken Enchiladas with beans, a bean and cheese burrito, and a side of rice and beans. It was delicious and fattening all at the same time. After lunch we took the long 4 and a 1/2 hour trip back down to the ranch. Some slept, some complained about the heat, some spilled Vanilla all over the van floor, and some got psych profiling done by Sarah. Something about the ladder and the cup symbolize your dependence on liquid.... I don't know, I guess I didn't really pay attention.

Monte and the missionaries here said farewell to us tonight with a gift and some dessert. They gave us Coca-cola bottles with little sombreros on top! We spent group time by sharing things we appreciated about each other over the trip. It was neat to hear bout all the things we find encouraging in each other. It was an uplifting way to be reminded how neat this group truly is.

I am once again privileged and honored to lead and work alongside such God-loving, energetic, respectful, and passionate students. My heart has lept with joy each day to see them serve God and each other no matter how they felt or what the situation. I am grateful for all their hardwork at the Ranch, their love for the children of the brickyard and orphanage, and their openess to what God is teaching them in their lives. I know this might be kindof long but I wanted to publicaly let you all know what I appreciate about each of them. You can skip this part or rejoice alongside of me in the tremendous character and depth of each of these wonderful guys and girls. I will write their name and a few words of appreciation.

Zach - I am grateful for his work ethic and patience during jobs. I appreciate his willingness to immediately play with and love on the kids of the brickyard. He did a great job on playing the spanish songs to the children and he looked out for the girls in our group constantly.

David - I am thankful for his courage to lead and lead by example, always seeking God's best and what was right. He worked hard at the Ranch and loved the kids with self-abandon at the brick-yard. He always had a good attitude and encouraging words to say.

Tyler - What a strong and steady worker even at 8am. I didn't think he would make it that early in the morning, but he proved me wrong. He never complained, always adapting to the difficulties of each day. He was my constant trusted work partner and non-morning-person friend.

Josh B. - I appreciate how he handled so many situations that were outside of his comfort zone with a courage to trust God and go with it. He was nervous but willing to try new things. He did a great job with puppets. He was patient with the kids who squirted him with bad water and got him sick.

Snyder - Right! You have to say that in a British accent because Snyder kept us all laughing with his humor and lightheartedness. I appreciate how he maintained such a gentle and humble attitude throughout the trip. He did whatever was asked of him. I am thankful that he used his skill and talents with photography to capture all of us when I know he also wanted to be on the other side of the camera. He gave up precious times with some of the children at the brickyard so he could capture those moments for us and for you.

Brett - I am grateful for Brett and his teachability. I was always asking him to go get this, or go do that, or clean that up and he kept at it. He helped keep things interesting and crazy for the guys and he had a lot of courage to down hot sauce the rest of us wouldn't touch.

Hannah - Encouraging, gentle, compassionate are a few words to describe her. She embraced a leadership role amongst the girls as we asked her to, and she did such a humble and loving job. I am grateful for her patient, and hard work no matter what the job. She did a fantastic job arranging the puppet team.

Megan - I appreciate the way 'Megan's joy comes out her ears.' (Aleah's quote) She is a steady calm amidst the storm, approaching each situation with a love for others and a desire to serve God with a humble heart. She is an amazing soccer defender as well.

Sarah - I am thankful for her faith in the Lord. She will pray about anything and encourage us all to do the same. I appreciate how she prays expectantly. She was always caring and interested in each of us throughout the trip. She could also woop Webster in a game of scrabble!

Jessie - I appreciate her passionate love for God, His character and His creation. She was a great reminder, as she and Tali took care of Churchill, of the joy God takes in all of His creation. I appreciate her love for God's word and her exuberant joy of the small things like sunflowers and rose bushes. Her love for God and appreciation of all he has done for us is contagious.

Tali - I appreciate her as well for the sacrificial love of Churchill and the encouragement it brought to us. I am thankful for her honesty and sharp mind for such a young age. I love how she loves God's word and truth and isn't afraid to make it known. She is also a great encourager and a somewhat decent beard-trimmer.

Kate - I am thankful for her vulnerability in her spiritual journey, her quite and steady servants heart, and her moments of pure youthful giddiness. She was a great encourager to all the guys by writing many letters and she washed my dishes many times when I insisted she didn't have to.

Kenzie - I am so thankful for her bright smile in the morning. She always got us going with her energy and joy. I appreciate her patience as well with the kids at the brickyard when they were soaking her with water. She loved on those kids so much I know they will never forget it. I am thankful for her heart and lifestyle of missions.

Aleah - I am thankful for her ability to put up with my sillyness. She has a great sense of humor, a way with words, and serious muscles. I appreciate how she would pick up pretty much anything no matter how heavy and go for it. She kept a gentle-spirit and a heart of unity when we needed it. I am thankful for how she opened up her heart to the children of the brickyard and let them in. They will never forget her smile, her laughter and her broken spanish.

Kimberly and her Mom - I am extremely thankful for all the meals, laundry, and shopping you did for us. We would have starved without you ladies. I appreciate how you even gave us surprises like cookies and brownies with ice-cream. Thanks for having plenty of air-borne and leading all the girls as godly woman examples.

I love each and every one of these guys and girls dearly and would do it all over again. I am encouraged and challenged by each of thier lives, thier testimonies and thier friendship.
Thanks guys, I can't wait to see what else God has in store for us next!

For the rest of you, we can't wait to see you at home and tell you all about what God has done!

-Josh Harris

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, wow, it's great to hear all the things that went on in Mexico and hear all about each of them who went. It is truly a blessing. I bet this is something that none of them will forget!!!! Safe Travels!!!!!!! I hope to see ya'll tonight!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Josh, thank you for blessing and encouraging our students and each of us with your comments about them. I'm sure you're exhausted, but yet you took the time to give a blessing to each of them. I know they will never forget their experiences in Mexico and their time with you.
So now it's time to bless and encourage you!
Josh - God-trusting, fearless leader; faithful teacher of God's Word in word and deed; sacrificial and tireless mentor; persevering worker; faithful friend to each of our kids.
Josh, all of us parents appreciate you! And, Kim, we appreciate you and your mom, too. We heard of you and your mom's many hours of laundering and cooking, and just being there for the girls.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Can't wait to see everyone tonight!
Love, Mrs. M.

Kaley Yates said...

I agree with Mrs. M. She is a very wise woman and you should listen to her! Haha. I am so excited! I will try to be at the church tonight. I can't wait to see you all tonight!
Much love!!!
Kaley :]

Anonymous said...

Josh, I really appreciate everything you had to say about your students. It was really sweet of you. I have thoroughly loved getting to know you guys over the past few months!
Anyway, I absolutely loved that you guys had this blog, because I knew specifically how to pray for you guys. I'm hoping my youth group will be able to do something like this when we go to Mexico in August.
Looking very forward to more stories tomorrow,
kathleen c.

Phyllis said...

I wasn't able to get online while you all were actually in Mexico, but I was praying. It's great to be able to see this now! I went back through and read everything.