Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 8...yeah it was really great. :)

Hey guys! It's me, Allie. I'm here to tell you about our day yesterday, which was Sunday. I'm sorry we weren't able to write yesterday, we came in really late and couldn't keep our eyes open. :P

So we began our day at 6:00 in the Finch's home getting ready to go and doing our devotions. We had breakfast at 7:00. When we were done we packed the van, said our goodbyes to our new friends and were gone by 8:00. We drove for 2 hours through the mountains, back and forth back and forth. I will tell you right now, I've never seen switch backs like this..and we have enough people who got carsick to prove it. :P

Our first stop was the waterfall. It had started to rain just before we got there, so Monte parked the van and we all hiked about a mile to the fall, and it wasn't easy. This high elevation thing makes everyone feel like we are extremely out of shape and we had a few people who were hurting (Ann, Alyssa and me. Ann's back. Alyssa was a little wobbley and her knees were giving out, but she's fine now. And I screwed up my shoulder.) When we finally made it to the waterfall, we were no longer tired, just amazed. I had never seen anything like it. It was HUGE. I had gone in jeans and sneakers not planning on getting wet, but I couldn't and wouldn't pass up this chance. Most everyone climbed the rocks to get closer. We got soaked just standing 30 feet away and some got even closer. We spent a while there just enjoying God's incredible creation. I didn't want to leave, I didn't think it could get any better. Well, I am a newbie as they say..and I was wrong.

We left and went to Veronica's (a place they come to eat at every year in Creel) it was quite yummy, but we didn't want to take long there. So we hopped back into the van and drove through more switch backs (my favorite :P) and got to the canyon. It's called Copper Canyon and it's begger than the Grand Canyon. Holy cow. It was incredible. It seemed so..fake to me. I have never seen anything like it and was astounded. God is truly awesome. I don't think that words or pictures could describe to you how beautiful it was. I've seen pictures before..but there is no comparison. We hiked all around looking and admiring the beauty. I could've spent hours there..but we had to leave with enough time to get out of the mountains before dark. So we began our hike back to the van and climbed in exhausted. We drove 5 or so hours back to the ranch and fell out of the van half asleep. Our day was incredible and totally worth it. I am so thankful we were able to make it to the mountains, it was an experience I will never forget.

God has been teaching me lots on this trip but probably one of the main things is learning to take a break or step back and trust that God has everything under control. He doesn't need me to get something done. So if I need a break I've learned to take one. God will get what He wants done with or without me. I do love helping and serving in anyway I can, but there are times when I need to stop. I don't always pay attention to that but God has made it clear to me now. Today I'm not working with everyone else because my shoulder is still caught and that's okay. I know that God is in control and my teammates are fully competent. ;) I guess that's all for now. Someone else will write tonight. I love you all!

Miss you Mom, Dad, Bek, Heath, Mikie, Kris, Aaron, Timmy, Sari, Shae, Jeff, Caiden and Fussin. :)I'm praying for you today Daddy!

For the team,
-Allie

Prayer Requests:
Ann's back. She is still hurting today, so pray for relief and rest.

My shoulder. I'm not sure what I did to it..but it's pretty killer. Pray that it won't keep me from working the rest of the trip or I will find jobs that I can do with one hand.

For our team to stick together. It's the second week and we are all tired. Pray that we will not get on each other's nerves too much and we will continue to grow closer together and to God.

For team health and energy.








8 comments:

Unknown said...

Rest is a realllly hard lesson - one I don't easily learn. =/ I'm proud of you for seeking God's purpose in spite of your injury.
I miss Mexico. There's nothing like the Sierra Madres. Or the Rancho Siloe. Or the brickyard.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you, Allie! We're praying that all the "injured" will heal quickly! James misses you!
Love, Kim and James

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Great blog entry Allie! Thanks for sharing your church, waterfall, and canyon experiences with us. I'm sure it was wonderful to see God's hand in all three of these areas (and I'm sure many others). Take a break and take care of that shoulder!

Mr. Rigel

Nick Parry! said...

That's one of the most encouraging blog posts yet! Congratz on that ;)
It sounds like you're having a great time down there! That's awesome to say the least. I'm currently praying for the team and will add your shoulder to the family's prayers. Thanks for the update, Allie!

Mrs said...

Allie, one of the verses God taught Kelly this year (and she shared with me) is Psalm 138:8, "The Lord will fulfill His purpose in me . . . ." I can't wait until you come home so we can tell you how He is doing that here! I love how you said He doesn't need you in order to do what He is going to do. This is exactly what He is teaching me, too.

LOVE the updates! Prayers for soreness and team energy!

Anonymous said...

Boo for shoulder troubles. Use the time you have to really pray. Maybe you're more effective praying...who knows! We love and miss you and Kate so much!! Praying for you guys!! Hugs and kisses from your nieces! Love, Shae

Kelly! said...

Tell Caleb I'm proud of how calm he looks in the team photo by the cliff. :) I enjoyed your blog very much my dahling! Thanks! It really put me back there.

Tali Rose said...

Veronica's! I still dream about the meal I ate there. The waterfall looks amazing!