Friday, July 30, 2010

Day - 11? Corn on a stick and tarantulas...

Have you ever held a tarantula?

This morning work was as usual except...

...during cookie break we found a tarantula and decided to take turns bonding with it. Several people braved this new challenge and let the tarantula crawl on their arms. Harris put it on his head.

Have you ever had corn on a stick?

So, today was our first day out on the town, a sort of nostalgic experience for me, considering my past explorations of Chihuahua City. We did some shopping and embraced a little bit of the Mexican culture. We toured the Governors Palace, and afterward, had the chance to try the previously mentioned 'corn on a stick,' though I was the only one to actually take on the challenge. I loved it. It was the existential equivalent of everything good in life. From there, we pushed on toward our next destination; dinner. We went to a place on the side of a busy street, specializing on Tortas, a delicious Mexican sandwich that I think we all unanimously enjoyed.

After all of our shopping and dining, Monte took us to a hill which was surrounded by the Chihuahua City skyline. It was an amazing sight that can't really be explained, only experienced.

We then headed back to the Ranch to have our nightly team meeting and discuss our morning devotions. The team discussed what each of us treasured in life. It
really put into perspective what is important in life, and what I frivolously enjoy, especially back in my home life. This is a big thing God has been teaching me about lately.

Overall, an awesome day. We're all excited to go back into town Saturday morning, before we head back home Sunday morning.


Prayer Requests:
-Ann's back and Allie's shoulder.
-The Finches
-The Grangers heading to the mountains tomorrow.
-Team unity
-The missionaries here at the Ranch.
-Safety for our trip into town tomorrow.

P.s, Happy Birthday Emily! (From Alyssa, Kaley and the rest of the Mexico team)

-Brett










5 comments:

Unknown said...

Brett,
This is awesome. It reminds me of that time two years ago when we sat on the sidelines of the team soccer game and I heard some of your thoughts on life for the first time. You should share them more!

God is good!

Nick Parry said...

That. Was. Awesome. By the way, my favorite comment by far is corn on a stick "was the existential equivalent of everything good in life." That made me laugh.

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Brett! I have enjoyed every blog entry of the trip. It sounds like the corn-on-a-stick was an enjoyable experience. I can't believe that no one else tried it.

We all put too much importance on truly unimportant things. It is always good to examine our lives and re-focus on what is truly important. Thanks for the reminder!

Mr. Rigel

Mrs said...

You've got me thinking about what it is that I treasure.

Praying for safety and health for all! Thanks for updating, Brett!

Tali Rose said...

Haha Brett, amazing post!