Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 12 - Heyyooo, it's the Yates girls!

First and foremost, we are terribly sorry this post is a day late. The Internet has been down a lot, and if it hasn't been down, it has been incredibly slow.

Alrighty! It's day 13 here in Chihuahua, Mexico and things are going great! We started off our morning with our last day of work. Due to rain, Kate and Alyssa couldn't paint the stage in the multipurpose building, but everyone kept on truckin' with the drywall, fixing insulation, and cleaning up the rest of the building by sweeping. As for me, Yates number 1, I got to help Mrs. Rigel in the kitchen a little bit and go to the grocery store for the last time. I made sure to pick up some donuts :P

After lunch, we all scrambled to put together a little surprise for the kids at the brickyard. You're never going to guess what it is.... Water balloons! That's right. Water balloons. Even though it was tough keeping the balloons from popping, and actually filling up enough, it was all worth it in the end. To see all their faces light up was amazing. And then to give the kids an opportunity to beat us up a little bit was even more fun. I, Kaley, was the lucky one who got the ice cooler full of water dumped on. It was insane in the membrane!

Okay, let's step back a couple 30 minutes and talk about the backpacks. After months of putting together 98 backpacks, the time finally came where we could give the kids their backpacks! From the moment we started carrying the duffel bags full of the backpacks the kids were excited and fully interested in what were giving them. We began by unpacking the duffels and then gave each of the kids their backpack. They were ecstatic. The professor of the school where most of the Brickyard kids attend was even there and he thanked us and stuff.

As soon as we got home from the Brickyard, it started raining! Instead of waiting for it to fully finish, we played a crazy soccer game with the awesome missionary families on a muddy field. We were slipping and falling like crazy, but all in all, the best team won. In other words, Kaley's team won. Haha. But Alyssa didn't fall, which was a major accomplishment, so it's all good.

For me, Alyssa, God has really been showing me how important He is in my life and how I need to put all I am into His hands. He will take care of me no matter what and that's all I need to live. As for me, Kaley, God showed me my real passion and love for people. This whole trip, God has given me so many opportunities to be there for my teammates, share with them, help them, and I can't wait to see where He leads me next.

Prayer Requests:
All of the missionaries we have met on this trip. The Finchs', Millers, Lloyds, Sanchez family, and Allison.
The Tarahumara believers.
Monte's rash. Poor fellah.
Safe travel and health.
and last but not least. ENERGY


Shout out time! Happy Birthday Emily! You're the big 14! Yay! We love you so so much! Hope your day was amazazing. Also to supermom, daddy dearest, and meggie moo! Love ya'll.

Kaley and Alyssa... to be continued... sometimes...












6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Priceless!

Mrs said...

Love it a million times! So thankful that God allowed the two of you to take this trip together. What an incredible memory you share!

Ready for you all to come home, but would never deny God's work in your lives. Praise Him!

Unknown said...

Thank for you these pictures!!
I see Jasmine and Shushita wearing the backpacks Tali and I sent!

Travel safely!

Tali Rose said...

My heart is so full--to see Shushita with the backpack I made for her is such a blessing! Thank you.

Mama Yates said...

Yay yay yay!!! My girls! FINALLY! I am happy beyond measure :D Thank you for making me the happiest mama in the world. The two of you are missed more than words can express. I was reading this,with tears streaming down my face, and I realized just how much the two of you love our God! You girls are such a joy around our house and now, you have shared that joy with people far from home. I miss you but know how important this has been for you. I can't wait to hear all about it! It is wonderful that the 2 of you could experience this together! I love you so much!!
"Patiently" awaiting your return,
Mama :)

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Thanks for sharing the activities of your last day in Chihuahua with us. It sounds like it was a fun and wet day. The backpack handout must have been a ton of fun! Keep seeking God's guidance in your life (that goes for me too). I'm so glad both of you and the whole team are home safely!

Mr. Rigel