Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 13 - We are heading home!

It's me again, Harris. All the students are packing and cleaning which is something I still have yet to do tonight. We will be leaving at 7am and I'm already feeling the tiredness. But, I must take this opportunity to praise God and the wonderful students that I've spent these two weeks with.

Let me give you the brief run-down of today first. We had our debrief meetings here at the ranch in the morning and then went into town for lunch and shopping. While we were out shopping we walked past a couple human statue men. We couldn't resist the opportunity for a photo opp so we convinced both Alyssa and Kaley to get pictures with them. Then we stopped at an ice-cream place called Super Coldys. J-Bass ordered half a gallon of ice-cream on accident. Something got lost in translation. :)


This evening the missionaries made us dinner and thanked us for coming. Monte challenged us to help with the great need of the gospel all around the world. Another missionary told us to make sure and tell you all stories and share about what God is doing here. So, all you family and readers of this blog make sure to ask lots of questions from us when we get back. We have lots to tell you about what God has done!!!

God is so good. He has kept us all safe and healthy enough. He has showed us his grace and love in new ways. We were able to experience new things and see new things. We talked about the new things we'd seen this morning and on the list were:
Being in a cloud on top of the Sierra Madre mountains. It passed right through us as we stood there.
A church of Tarahumara believers worshipping God.
An incredible waterfall.
More of God's love.

Well, on to the long part of this blog, which is really why I'm staying up till 1am to write, and I encourage you to keep reading. :) I have enjoyed each of these students along this journey and I'd like to take this time to express my pride and joy in them.

J-Bass is a steady and responsible worker and leader. He doesn't complain and he knows how to embrace cultural experiences. (except the outhouse) I'm also impressed with his desire to grow in Christ and think through everything so that he does it well. I'm blessed that he has been a leader for 2 years in our Student Ministry. He has also shown his great love for people in the two years on this trip through his committed efforts towards the water filter project last year and the backpack project this year. He always finishes what he starts.

Kaley can turn any moment into joy. She has an uncanny ability at being random just when you need it. :) I have enjoyed seeing her serve with humility and grace. She truly loves others and will sacrifice for their benefit. She brings dancing, laughing, and all sorts of goofiness to days when everyone else is tired or grumpy. (Red Bull often has something to do with this behavior)

Ann has got out us of many a pinch with her Spanish skilz and her ability to be calm in situations. She keeps from being negative and always tries to help. I admire her courage to still do this trip even with regular pain in her back. She has an incredible love and patience for the children at the brickyard. You can see the evidence of God at work in her heart as she loves others. She has more room in her suitcase on the way home this time.

Kate normally comes to mind when you need help in the kitchen, but she is so much more than that. I have seen her do every job with the same determination, humility, and joy. There is a tenderness to her heart and a compassion that she gives everyone. Her great strength is not in her kitchen prowess it's in relationships. Kate has become discontent with settling for less of God and that inspires me. She can also detect babies from a mile away, she has Babydar or something.

Caleb doesn't do anything halfway. He puts his heart into worship, work, playtime, and people. It shows in the way he never gives up. He was a huge help during the drywall projects because he has learned much from his dad. He found ways to be an encourager on this trip to many people including me. He will be a missionary someday.

Brett is changing every day as he seeks God more authentically than I've seen before. He couldn't wait to go on this trip and that enthusiasm for being here never wavered. He was constant in his thankfulness to be here and to be part of the work and the brickyard. He never argued or grumbled, he couldn't wait to work and embrace every part of this trip that God had for him. We also had some fun times in the car. Like, sleeping bag hands boxing, Alpaca farming, El Matador, and much more.

Angie has this thing where she can't help but talk about God and I love it. She has the most personally exciting way of sharing how much she loves God and what He's done in her life. She is also a very patient and submissive worker. She did everything I asked and always did it with kindness towards me. She only snapped once and even then we didn't think she was being mean. She has a gentle heart and is consistent with putting others before herself.

Zach is a beast, in a good way. He is such a hard worker. He is also able to grow facial hair now which is pretty cool. I'm so proud of him for the way he is quick to help. He really enjoyed the church with the Tarahumara and it excited me to see how much that meant to him. He loves his mom and his family more than anything and I love to see how he helps and protects his mother. He has great faith in what God can do and trust's him through anything. Like I said, he's a beast in a good way. :)

Kelso is not a meat eater but he is ticklish in one spot. Bless his heart he did this whole trip knowing that he might not eat as well as he does at home. He never complained about the food. Even the day he didn't feel good he couldn't wait to get back to work. He also did every job I asked him to do without question, even weeding for hours. I told him I would make him work hard and he passed with flying colors.

Johnny always seems to have energy. It was a blessing because there were many days when everyone else was to tired to talk, but Johnny kept talking. He also kept talking while we were trying to sleep in the car but we forgave him of that. :) He kept things fun when we needed it but worked very hard every day. God has given him wisdom and discernment. Someday he'll see more of how to use that for God's glory. He and I had a spaghetti noodle fight one day, and he helped me clean it up even though I was the one who started it.

Alyssa is Kaleys sister. That sounds like stating the literal but it is also stating how crazy they are together. She is also wonderful at bringing a smile to your face and energy to your day when you need it. I wish I had her ability to see so much life out of every moment and live it with such glee. She has a soft heart to God's word and a faith in God that sometimes goes un-noticed. She also slips and falls alot, always when I happen to not be watching though. Bummer...

Allie has a bad shoulder but a good heart. :) She has had one of the roughest trips out of all of us and she has still managed to keep her calm. I am very proud of her for finding the strength to not work. It took more strength for her to not work then to get out there and be busy. She struggled through sitting still because that is not her character or work ethic. She is an incredibly hard worker but God wanted her to be still this trip because of her shoulder injury. She took that time and grew closer to God. She responded by seeking God and I'm so proud of her for that.

Last but not least is my partner in crime, if you will, Dawn. There is no possible way that any of us would survive this trip without her. She has become the most dear friend to me and mother to all the kids. This doesn't just happen because she feeds us and does our laundry, this happens because she selflessly, sacrificially, humbly, and genuinely loves us. I see the light and love of God shine through her all day long. That is an incredible rarity but that is how much God has transformed her. She has become a true godly woman of character and faith. I can't say enough about how blessed we are to do this trip with her. All of you parents are blessed that she is the other adult here with your kids. With her around we will all get fed, bandaged up, clothed, and loved.

I know this was a long post, after all it took me till 1am to write this, but I can't pass up the opportunity to pour back words of love into the people that mean so much to me.

Thank you to all of you who have prayed and supported us through this journey. We will be home soon and can't wait to tell you all about it. Thank you as well to all the parents of these students. I'm so glad you let a young man like me be part of their lives let alone take them to a foreign country. This is my passion and greatest joy in life apart from my wife and son. If I can't be part of missions and connecting others to it I wouldn't be fulfilling why God created me.

Kimberly my love, thank you for your support and love through this trip. You are the most understanding and loving wife I could ever ask for. You are my joy and I can't wait to be back in your arms and with our son. I love you and James with the depth of a thousand oceans!

Another year is in the books, God did what He promised, we are coming home, and may God get all the glory.

Because He said go,
Josh Harris








4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you.

I am thrilled that God has moved in the hearts of your students in such ways! This blog has so encouraged me in the day-to-day. I have loved journeying with you all. It is definitely the next-best thing to being in Mexico. :)

Josh, I can testify to the fact that you pour your energy and heart into people so unabashedly. May you, too, be blessed, even as you have blessed others. God is good!

Nick Parry said...

Wow, this has been such an incredible journey even for me just keeping up with the blog. God bless everyone who did this because I know it isn't easy but I but it was totally worth it. I'm so glad everyone is safe (with the minor exception of Allie's shoulder)and is doing well. I can't wait to talk to everyone Monday and get to hear their stories. Thanks, Josh for keeping us updated. It's been such a blessing to just read how God is working in each and everyone while you're there.

Mama Yates said...

Josh,
I just want to thank you for this...You have no idea how much I appreciate you and all that you do for my little girls. Your words have encouraged me every time I read the blog but this one has filled my heart to the rim! I love to hear the positive things about all of the team, but to hear that someone else appreciates my girls the way I do, makes my heart smile. :) Thank you so much! I know these kids have learned a lot but this mama has learned as well. My heart is full. Thank you!

With much love and respect,
Mama Yates

DaDaHaZaReJe said...

Thanks Josh! You have been a great leader for the team. You have sacrificed much for the benefit of the team and the trip. You have been a mature spiritual lead for the kids on this journey. You have been a great work supervisor to make sure those that could work did and those that couldn't didn't. You have been a fearless leader of this great adventure in the lives of every member of the Mexico Team. You have shown God's love to many missionaries and Tarahumara in Mexico during the last two weeks. Thank you for everything! Kim has a great husband and James has a fantastic Daddy! Welcome home!

David Rigel